07 April 2006

Bandwagon Chatter IV

I slipped into the subway just as the conductor threatened to close the doors. More and more commuters packed into the train, pressing against one another in the rush-hour humidity of stale breath. I grabbed onto the pole closest to me, higher than I would prefer but there was less than ample room for my grip further down. The doors finally closed and the passengers pressed even more closely together as the last-minute hop-ons pulled their backpacks and accessories fully into the train. The conductor's voice, static and all, found its way through the old PA system to announce the next station in an inarticulate and deafening cackle-- the train jolted as it started up, and I lost my balance with my displaced grip.

"Sorry about that." I glanced over at the passenger in front of me as I stepped on his foot and accidentally rammed into his luggage with my knee. The unusualness of his empty look caught my attention. It was strangely unusual and strangely empty.

"Down here, you fool!" My thoughts were sharply interrupted as a voice came slicing through the darkness. I looked down at a fist that was shaking at me, violently.

"Oh, I'm sorry-- I thought you were ... (bad call-- bad choice of words... ABORT!) ... I didn't realize you were down there. I'm sorry." (Wrong again! Damn!)

The train pulled up at the station. I, half-relieved and half-still immersed in the embarrassment of the situation, ran my thumb along the bottom-side strap of my bag re-positioning it on my shoulder for the get-away.

"You better watch where you're going!" he scolded, fist still 'high' in the air.

"Sorry!"

I barged my way off the train, traumitized. And shamed.

So truth - spring / summer is near : the season of interns... and other smaller people that might just get big someday. Might.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?