11 December 2006

Bathroom Wars

"That's a MAN... That's a MAN... NO... no, that's a woman that LOOKS like a man!" -Audience member on Jerry Springer on guessing the sex of some guests

Are bathroom designations by sex or by gender? I always thought by sex but it appears that I stand corrected. As I was waiting to deboard a plane this morning, I heard a man pick up the phone. I looked around because the voice sounded so close... and indeed, it was the man in front of us who was dressed as a woman. S/he was one of a couple, her mate an older man from Long Island-- probably late 60s. She had on large sunglasses, an all-encompassing white pashmina, and a straw hat... as though s/he were en route to the Hamptons! S/he also had the biggest. freakin'. man hands I have ever seen (larger than the Chilean president). I have never been so sure of someone being a man.

I am certain you can guess the ending. S/he ducked into the Women's room just before me.
And so then I--
I took the one less traveled by.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?