29 January 2007

Rod Appreciation Day

Firstly,
I neglected to recognize FIG NEWTON DAY on January 16th. The country's second best-selling cookie is celebrated on this day in NEWTON, MA, the city that claimed rights to the cookie's name when it was first invented. The other town competing to claim nameship rights was SHREWSBURY. The nation should be thankful that SHREWSBURY did not win because: 1) it would be a FIG SHREWSBURY and that sounds weird, 2) it would be a FIG SHREWSBURY and by the time any kid told his neighbor what he brought in for snacktime, everyone would already be done eating and snacktime would be over, 3) it would be ghetto and might as well be called FIG WORCESTER or FIG SPRINGFIELD, two cities that are on the nation's Top 50 Crime Watch List.

Second,
I would like to not neglect to recognize Rod Appreciation Day, which I motion to be January 28th for the next X number of years that I remember to celebrate.

The rod in my main closet collapsed today. All of my clothes, consequently, were crumpled on the floor. I am currently procrastinating bedtime because I have two very large piles of clothes on my bed that I need to move elsewhere. That shit is *heavy! I considered sleeping on my air mattress tonight but that also requires more work than I would voluntarily subject myself to late on a Sunday night.

It made me think of other rods in my life that I don't appreciate enough. How about the toilet paper dispenser rod? Where would you put the roll otherwise? On the floor (gross), on the sink (potential wetness - sick*), on the tank behind (must reach). Until last week when I spotted one hanging on a shelf in the drugstore, I don't think I have ever thought about where I could purchase one. I bet that everyone our age has purchased one toilet paper dispenser rod... at most. And I bet that with the same amount of confidence that everyone our age has been overly-curious at least one time on the airplane and played with the airphone... and was not able to put it back into its slot without the help of a parent or a flight attendant.

What about the foot rest rods on a stool? Or the rungs on a ladder? (That would be awfully incovenient to be missing, now wouldn't it.)

Happy Rod Appreciation Day, friends. Don't under-estimate the importance of its existence.

Give a howl for the dowel!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?